Why Can’t I Love Anyone Now? Maybe I’m Not Too Old, Maybe I’m Just Done Choosing Wrong.
Sometimes I wonder if something in me has changed.
I meet people. I talk to people. I notice the good things about them. I can appreciate someone’s personality, their kindness, their ambition, even their appearance. But that feeling I used to have, the excitement, the butterflies, the willingness to overlook things because I wanted something to work, doesn’t come as easily anymore.
And sometimes I ask myself: “Am I too old to fall in love?” Maybe I’m not. Maybe I’m just tired.
Not tired of love.
Not tired of companionship.
Not tired of having someone beside me. I’m tired of choosing people who make me question whether I am enough.
As I’ve grown older, I’ve realized that my idea of love has changed completely.
When I was younger, I probably thought love was about chemistry, attraction, excitement, late night conversations and that feeling of not being able to get someone out of your head.
Now? I think love is much quieter. It is consistency. It is emotional safety. It is someone remembering the little things. It is being able to have a terrible day and knowing there is someone who will ask, “Are you okay?” and genuinely want to know the answer.
It is not having to beg for attention. It is not constantly wondering where you stand. It is not trying to convince someone to choose you.
And perhaps that is why I cannot love people the way I used to.
My standards have changed.
I have learned how I want to be treated because I know how I treat myself.
I take care of myself.
I think about my future. I work hard. I try to be responsible. I show up for the people I love. Most importantly, I have experienced what it feels like to be cared for by my parents.
My parents have shown me a kind of love where you don't have to earn your place every morning. They worry about me. They check whether I have eaten.They want to know whether I got home safely. They celebrate my achievements. They care when I am struggling. They don't make me feel like caring about me is an inconvenience.
And maybe that has changed what I expect from a relationship. I don't expect someone to become my parent. I don't want that. But I do want someone with that same instinct to care.
Someone who notices. Someone who thinks, “How can I make this person's life a little easier?”
Because that is how I love people. And I don't think it is unreasonable to want that love in return.
There is another small thing that makes me realize how much I have changed. I have never received flowers from the men I loved. Not the flowers you see in movies. Not even a simple bunch picked up on the way home just because someone thought of me.
But I buy flowers for myself. I walk into a shop, see a beautiful bouquet and think, Why shouldn't I have them? So I buy them. I take them home. I put them somewhere I can see them. And somehow, there is something deeply symbolic about that.
I stopped waiting for someone else to do the little things I wished someone would do for me. I learned to give myself some of the tenderness I was hoping to receive from someone else. But I still hope that one day someone will walk through the door holding flowers and say, “I saw these and thought of you.” Not because I need flowers. Because I want to know what it feels like to be thought of.
That's the difference.
I don't need someone to rescue me. I want someone who genuinely wants to care for me. And there is something else I have realized about myself.
I hate small conversations.
I don't want to spend weeks exchanging “Hey,” “How are you?” “What are you doing?” and “Good night” without actually getting to know the person behind those words.
I crave depth. Tell me what keeps you awake at night. Tell me what you're building. Tell me what you believe in. Tell me about your family, your dreams, your fears and the things that changed you. Tell me something you have never told anyone. I don't need to talk all day. I need conversations that actually mean something.
And perhaps that is why inconsistent communication bothers me so much.
I'm not asking someone to be available every second. Life gets busy. People have work, responsibilities, families and their own lives. I understand that. But there is a difference between being busy and being inconsistent. One day you're deeply interested. The next day you disappear. One week you communicate constantly. The next week I barely hear from you. You make plans and then become distant. You show affection and then withdraw it. That kind of inconsistency doesn't excite me anymore.
It exhausts me.
I don't want to spend my time decoding someone's behavior. I don't want to wonder whether they are interested. I don't want to analyze why their energy suddenly changed.
If you like me, let me feel it through your consistency. Maybe that's another sign that I've grown older.
I don't confuse unpredictability with excitement anymore. For a long time, I thought having high standards meant I was being difficult. Maybe I was asking for too much. Maybe I should compromise. Maybe I should give someone a chance even when something inside me was saying, This isn't right. But I don't believe that anymore.
There is a difference between having unrealistic expectations and having healthy standards.
I don't need perfection. I don't need someone who has everything figured out. I don't need a movie like romance. I don't need someone who constantly buys me expensive things or says all the right words. I need someone emotionally mature enough to communicate.
Someone who respects me. Someone who keeps their word. Someone who doesn't disappear when things become difficult. Someone who is proud to have me in their life. Someone who doesn't make me feel like I am asking for too much simply because I want emotional security.
And maybe the biggest change is this:
I am no longer interested in potential. I used to fall in love with who someone could become. Now I pay attention to who they actually are.
Because potential doesn't communicate. Potential doesn't keep promises. Potential doesn't build a life with you.
A person does.
Maybe I am not incapable of loving anymore. Maybe I have simply stopped confusing anxiety with chemistry. Maybe I have stopped mistaking inconsistency for mystery. Maybe I have stopped thinking that someone being emotionally unavailable makes them more valuable. Maybe I have finally understood that love should not constantly leave you wondering whether you're wanted.
And yes, sometimes I still wonder whether I waited too long. Whether I became too independent. Whether I became too comfortable being alone. Whether my standards have become too high.
But then I think about it differently.
What if I am not too old?
What if I am simply old enough to know what I don't want anymore?
What if being single isn't proof that something is wrong with me?
What if I would rather wait for something healthy than rush into something familiar?
I don't want to chase love anymore. I don't want to convince someone to love me. I don't want to audition for the role of someone's partner. I want something that feels mutual. Something where both people choose each other without having to be persuaded. Something where I can finally put down the emotional armor I've spent years building.
I want someone who understands that being independent doesn't mean I don't want to be cared for. I want someone who notices when I'm tired. Someone who asks if I've eaten. Someone who remembers the things I casually mention. Someone who celebrates my small wins. Someone who brings flowers not because it's Valentine's Day, not because I asked, but simply because they were thinking about me. Someone who makes me feel like being loved isn't another responsibility I have to manage.
Because sometimes the strongest people secretly want someone to say: “You don't have to handle everything alone. I've got you.”
Maybe that's the kind of love I'm waiting for. And if it takes time, so be it. I'd rather wait for the right person than spend another year trying to make the wrong person right.
So no, maybe I can't love anyone right now. Or maybe I simply haven't met someone who makes me feel safe enough to love again. And there is a big difference between those two things.
I don't think my heart is closed.
I think it has finally learned to be selective about who gets the key.
And until then, I'll keep buying my own flowers.
Not because I have given up on love.
But because I have finally learned that I should never have to wait for someone else to prove that I am worth beautiful things.

Comments
Post a Comment